Make your own Serendipity Frozen Hot Chocolates in your own home!! This drink/dessert is famous at any of the Serendipity restaurants (New York, Las Vegas, etc.) and was featured in the movie Serendipity–for good reason, they are SO delicious!!
Recently, my cravings for chocolate haven’t been met…but today they have finally met their match. Let me explain. In my neighborhood we do something called “Dessert & Discussion” aka “Book Club.” This cute gal decided her “book” of choice was going to be a “cook book.” Yeah! A girl after my own heart, I personally loved the idea! It was right up my alley, just like chocolate mouse always is. Those attending this fun event were asked to pick a recipe from this cook book to make and share the night of book club. I could hardly wait to borrow the cookbook from her, let’s just say as soon as I did…I was hooked.
The cookbook of choice is from the restaurant, Serendipity. As I flipped through the book the first recipe jumped out at me– “Frozen Hot Chocolate.” Then I continued to look through the book for the second and third time, pouring over each recipe, imagining myself making and tasting all of these delicious treats! Finally a choice had to be made, which one would I make? The winner was…Frozen Hot Chocolate! I couldn’t wait for book club to make this dessert and decided I must make it at once. It was the perfect choice for a 100 degree day. You will love that this recipe is SUPER easy to make and SO delicious. Confession…I will be running longer tomorrow to make up for the extra calorie intake today, but let me tell you I LOVED EVERY MOMENT OF THIS DRINK!! Funny thing, I happened to read the recipe wrong to which only benefited friends and neighbors because I made EIGHT times the amount I needed for one serving! Oops. But then again, sharing chocolate with others is fun to do! So here is the recipe for you. Beware, drink it too quickly and you may get a brain freeze. Hope this recipe cools off the summer heat.
- 4 oz. (1/4 c.) dark chocolate chips & milk chocolate chips (good quality)
- 2 teaspoons store bought hot chocolate mix (I used Steven's Hot Cocoa- Milk Chocolate)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 cups ice cubes
- Whipped Cream (optional)
- Chocolate Shavings (optional)
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Do not over heat the chocolate can burn quickly. You can also place chocolate in a double broiler pan over simmering water, stirring occasionally until melted. Add the hot chocolate mix and sugar, stirring constantly until thoroughly blended. Remove from heat and slowly add 1/2 cup of the milk and stir until smooth. *I had to add this to my blender to make smooth.*
- In the blender place the remaining cup of milk, the room temperature chocolate mixture and the ice. Blend on high speed until smooth and the consistency of a frozen daiquiri. Pour into a giant goblet and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Enjoy with a spoon or a straw- or both. This makes one big serving or two-four small servings.
- *The original recipe called for good quality chocolate baking ounce bars (you know that fancy chocolate you see in the baking isle. Well I only had good quality chocolate chips and it worked just fine!)
- *Also, I don't enjoy whipping cream so I left this entirely out and it was still delicious! But for those that love the real stuf,f add it in and I bet it's even better!
- *Once all of this is gone, I will try it using powdered milk, and I'm sure you won't even be able to tell. Here's to a new favorite summertime food storage drink!
- *You might be wondering where my pictures are of making this drink? Needless to say, as soon as I made it, it was GONE in minutes!