Wow, I am sorry I haven’t posted in nine days–ah! I must have a new baby 🙂 He is so cute and cuddly it is hard for me to do anything but snuggle him and try to stop the clock. Why do babies have to grow up so fast? Oh..they are sweet!
Since I am not doing much but holding our newborn baby, dinners have become something quick and easy. Not to mention, with the hot summer sun, there are only two things that sound good to me for dinner…salads or sandwiches! I love having a delicious salad in the summer, here are a few of my favorites: Golden Gate Chicken Salad, Wingers Sticky Chicken Salad, Asian Chicken & Spinach Salad, BLT Chicken Salad ..just to name a few!
Next to a crispy and light salad, my next favorite meal of choice is a sandwich. They are easy to make and are great for those crazy nights when it is too hot to cook and time is limited.
Here is my slimmed down recipe. Yes, you can deep fat fry these babies if you want to, to be ‘authentic’. I don’t know about you though, but with all of these BBQ’s we’ve had this summer my waistline can’t afford that luxury!!
- 4 slices thick white bread (you could also use a thick piece of French Bread)
- 2 t. Dijon or honey mustard
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 4 slices deli ham
- 4 slices deli turkey breast
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ c. milk
- 2 t. flour
- Salt, pepper and freshly grated nutmeg
- Spread two slices of bread evenly with Dijon mustard. Put one slice of swiss cheese on both sides of bread. Put 2 slices each of ham and turkey on sandwich. In separate bowl combine, egg, milk, salt, pepper, flour and nutmeg. Put sandwiches together and coat heavily in egg mixture. Cook in a frying pan in hot butter until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown. To insure egg is cooked and cheese melts, cover with a lid. When sandwich is done, sprinkle with a dusting of powdered sugar. Serve sandwiches with black berry jam on the side for dipping. Makes two sandwiches.