Garden season is in full swing. I know you are going to get sick of me saying I love my square foot gardens, but I REALLY do! I am shocked that things are actually growing. In fact, our new problem is over crowding. When I planted our seeds I had a hard time believing anything would grow and so I planted a few extra plants here and there, and planted two seeds for every one I was supposed to. I was used to everything dieing on me so I thought I needed a ‘back up’ seed. Was I wrong! We have cauliflower plants growing on top of cucumbers, tomato plants taking over the garden, and potatoes all over our watermelon. Lesson learned! When you have good soil, only plant what the book tells you to plant 😉(Our 4 1/2 ft. tomato plants that are taking over our garden!)
Tonight for dinner I decided to make a Garden Pasta of sorts. I was excited to use all of the veggies from the garden and see what I could come up with. I used one of my favorite quick methods for making alfredo sauce that I am excited to share. Instead of dealing with a roux of butter and flour, all you need to use is cream cheese, chicken broth and some Parmesan cheese. The three together make the most perfect, fail proof, alfredo sauce you will ever have. This dish comes together very quickly (less than 30 minutes) and you cook the entire sauce in one large pan–I love less dishes!
I also used Augason Farms‘ chicken bouillon that I LOVE and couldn’t live without. Remember, that is our food storage focus of the month so stock up your food storage so you can inexpensively season your food (a can of broth is .03 compared to $1–fabulous!!) I hope you enjoy this recipe!
- 3 T. butter or olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- Montreal steak seasoning
- 1/2 c. sliced mushrooms
- 2 stalks green onions, diced
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 1/2-1 c. basil, chopped (if you don't have fresh, just use 1-2 t. dried)
- You could also use any of your favorite garden veggies: bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (if you are not using pre-cooked chicken, just saute with the onions in the beginning of the recipe)
- 2 c. water
- 3 t. chicken bouillon
- 2 (8 oz.) cream cheese
- 1 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 lbs. pasta, cooked
- If you are not using pre-cooked chicken, just saute the chicken with the onions and then continue with the recipe.
- Cut up all of your garden vegetables. In a large skillet heat the oil/butter. Add the onions and saute until golden brown. Add the zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms to the onions. Saute until the zucchini is soft, but not mushy. Season the vegetables with Montreal Steak Seasoning or salt and pepper. Once the vegetables are cooked, add the chicken stock and cream cheese. Simmer on medium heat and stir until cream cheese is smooth. Add the garlic cloves. Once the sauce is smooth and thick, add the Parmesan cheese. Stir together and serve over your favorite cooked pasta.