This is a favorite summer recipe of mine because it is easy, light and SOOO delicious! It is called Carne Asada Tacos. I love the fact you don’t have to turn on the oven in the dead of summer for this recipe. Just remember to throw a roast in your crockpot in the morning and you’ll have dinner ready in 15 minutes or less. This is one of the first recipes I make when I have garden tomatoes that are ready to eat. The fresh tomatoes, onions, and cilantro from your garden make this the perfect recipe to make this time of year. I always make plenty of pico de gallo and have it on the side with tortilla chips. Garden goodness! Here is the recipe for you, hope you like it!
- 1 beef roast
- 1 T. Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 T. beef bouillon
- 1 T. salt
- 1/2 T. garlic
- 5 large tomatoes, diced small
- 1 bunch cilantro, diced coarsely
- 1/2 large onion, diced small
- ½ c. lime juice (approximately)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Tacos: Place the roast, steak seasoning, sliced onion, beef bouillon, salt and garlic into a slow cooker. Add a little bit of water to the slow cooker so the roast won't burn. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Once the roast is tender, shred the meat and place in the corn tortilla with Pico de Gallo Salsa and Cotija cheese.
- For the salsa, chop the vegetables and season with salt and lime juice as desired.
- Place my tortillas on a griddle for a few minutes before creating your taco. This will help create a crispy shell for your taco. Serve the shredded beef in the taco with the salsa and cheese.
Cotija cheese–a must with this recipe. This cheese is very mild and has the texture of feta cheese. If you have never used it, it is worth the extra pennies for this recipe. If you don’t use the entire block of cheese, just freeze the remaining amounts in a Ziploc bag for a later meal.