Oat month continues! Remember to stock up your food storage this month on oats of any kind (steel cut, quick, regular, instant or whole groats). I am excited to share with you another great way to use the oats in your storage. Last year I posted a recipe for homemade peanut butter and chocolate granola bars, and several of you have shared how much you have loved these over the years. These are a favorite of my children’s–mostly because they like the chocolate chips, and they are obsessed with peanut butter and chocolate like their dad.
Well..if you would like a little more sophisticated granola bar, try these White Chocolate & Craisin granola bars. They are heavenly! I love to wrap these up individually and keep them in my purse, take them to the park, send them with the kids to school, bring them to sporting events, or pack anywhere for when I need a little energy boost. I know they are not necissarily ‘healthy’, but the fact they have flax, oats, dried fruit and almonds, I feel a little better about eating them than the store bought bars. I hope you enjoy these bars as much as I do!
- 5 cup oats (I used quick oats--but regular or quick would do)
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 cup krispy rice cereal
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup craisins
- 1 1/2 Tbs. milled flax seed
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced or chopped
- 2 Tbs. corn syrup (or more honey)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- Mix all of the above ingredients together until all of the oats are coated in the honey and butter. Spray a 9x13 or 11x14 pan and put mixture into the bottom of the pan. Spread the oat mixture into the bottom of the pan until flattened. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Place the bars in the fridge until they are completely hardened and cool. Once they are cold, cut into desired shapes (rectangle). Wrap and store in the fridge, freezer or pantry until ready to eat.