Well, if you are an avid reader of this blog you may notice I tend to get on a kick of a certain food and I can’t stop thinking (or blogging) about it. This season my favorite flavors have been orange and cranberry! Between our Cranberry Orange Bread Pudding to our Cranberry Orange Waffles, I have been in cranberry heaven! I can’t end this holiday season without giving you the perfect recipe for delicious Cranberry Orange Rolls. There are few things better than a warm, homemade orange roll straight from the oven. I am a HUGE fan of cinnamon rolls, but I have to say I think these are even better. I love the sweet and sour combination again of the cranberries and the orange. The cranberry in the cream cheese frosting, although it doesn’t look pretty in the picture, is actually beautiful! These rolls are so festive and full of flavor. If you need one more recipe to make this upcoming week, this is the one to try! I wish each of you a Merry Christmas and hope you have a wonderful season with lots of great food, friends and festivities!
**Remember…if you are looking for a last minute gift idea, we are still taking orders for Gift Certificates to Deals to Meals (up until 3 p.m.). Give your family and friends the gift of time, saving money, and delicious recipes all year long! Certificates for under $15 makes the perfect, practical gift! Visit our blog to learn more.
Perfect Orange Rolls
- 3 cup hot water
- 3 Tbs. yeast
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cup orange juice (freshly squeezed or from concentrate)
- 2/3 cup oil
- 3 Tbs. lemon juice
- Zest of one orange (about 1 tsp.)
- 12-13 cup flour
- 2 Tbs. salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice concentrate (not mixed with water)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 1/2 tsp. orange zest
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/3 cup reserved orange filling
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 tsp. orange zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped (optional)
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- Rolls: Combine the hot water, yeast and sugar in a mixing bowl. Let sit until yeast begins to foam. Then add the orange juice, oil, lemon juice and zest of one orange.
- Combine until mixture is well mixed. Then add the flour one cup at a time until the dough is slightly sticky but manageable. Add the salt.
- Let the dough knead for 5-7 minutes on low speed until dough begins to pull away from the sides.
- Cover the dough in the bowl with a towel and let sit until dough doubles in size (about one hour). When the dough has risen, pour out onto a greased counter top (with a little shortening or cooking oil). Divide the dough into 2 pieces. Roll half of the dough into a large, even rectangle (for the spiral/cinnamon roll shape) or 6 circles the size of a dinner plate (for the crescent shape).
- For the orange filling mix together the orange juice concentrate, white sugar, butter and orange zest.
- Place items in a bowl and microwave for one minute, or until butter is soft. Mix together mixture until smooth. Set aside. Reserve 1/3 cup of the mixture for the frosting.
- Roll out the dough (you will do this twice) into the rectangle or circular shapes. Spread a thin layer of the orange filling mixture onto the top of the dough. If you like craisins, sprinkle them on top of the dough. Roll the dough into your desired shape. Cut and place on a greased cookie sheet close together. Cover with a thin layer of saran wrap and set aside until the rolls double in size (about another hour). Once the rolls have risen, bake at 350 for 18-25 minutes (depending on the size of your rolls). Once they are slightly browned on the top, remove from the oven.
- Frosting: Cream frosting ingredients together until smooth. If adding the cranberries, chop them and fold them into the frosting at the end once the mixture is smooth. Spread the frosting over the warm rolls once they are taken out of the oven. Enjoy!
Deals to Meals https://www.dealstomealsblog.com/
Roll your orange rolls in the shape of a cinnamon roll or a crescent roll. No matter how you roll-em’, you will LOVE them!