We have spent the past week on vacation with our family. It was such a great time and a week full of delicious food and fun! While we didn’t do much more than swim and eat for a week, we had a great time being together as a family and relaxing from a crazy last couple of months. Our week of meals would not be the same without our ultimate breakfast burritos. With the kids swimming from sun up to sun down they needed something to help keep them going until lunch. Our family loves breakfast burritos! I would never think to blog about such a simple recipe, but my friend Emily, who came with us, said I MUST blog about these so she can replicate them when she got home.
Pretty much you can add or adjust anything you want in this recipe. Omit the meat, add more veggies, use different veggies, etc. Just use the items your family already likes to eat, roll it up in a warm tortilla and you have an awesome breakfast for any day of the week! I love to roll several of these burritos, place on a cookie sheet and freeze for later. Once the burritos are frozen I remove them from the cookie sheet and place them in a Ziploc bag. These burritos are also great to bring camping or somewhere you need a quick breakfast. All you have to do is cook up the meat and vegetable mixture and store in a Ziploc bag or Tupperware. When you are ready to cook the burritos just scramble some eggs and warm up the meat. This makes for a quick breakfast (or dinner) in a hurry. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 lb. sausage (or cubed ham, bacon, etc.)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, but into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 yellow or orange bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into thin slices
- 20 oz. package Simply Shredded Potatoes (or shredded fresh russet potatoes)
- 2 tsp. Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or pepperjack cheese
- 12 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 1 cup shredded cheese (colby, cheddar, pepperjack, monterey, etc.)
- 10 flour or whole wheat tortillas
- Cut all of the vegetables into bite sized pieces. Saute the sausage and onion in a large frying pan until the sausage is mostly cooked through and the onion is tender. Add the remaining vegetable ingredients and continue to saute until the potatoes are soft and the vegetables are tender. Season the meat mixture with Montreal Seasoning and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Let sit on low until ready to serve burritos.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl. Add the milk and whisk until smooth. In a large non-stick frying pan add the butter and let it melt and get hot in the pan. Once the pan is hot, add the scrambled egg. Keep the egg on medium heat until the edges begin to bubble. Place a lid on the pan for 30 sec. to 1 minute. Remove the lid and scrape down the sides of the pan and flip the egg from the edges to the center. Once the egg has been flipped, season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the egg and turn down the heat to low. Cover the egg with a large lid and let cook on low heat until cheese is melted and the egg is cooked.
- To prepare the burritos, place a generous portion of scrambled egg, vegetable and meat mixture into the tortilla. Serve the burritos with salsa, sour cream and/or our favorite Queso Salsa.
- 1 lb. Velveeta Cheese
- 1 can Rotel Tomatoes
- Yep..that's it! Warm it up in a sauce pan on low heat until warmed through. This dip is great on these burritos and also makes the perfect dip for any tortilla chip!
We tasted 8 different brands of tortilla chips and found 2 brands to be the winners.
#1 favorite tortilla chip: Doritos Corn Chips (We were all shocked! We thought for sure Santitas would win, but it didn’t)
#2 favorite: Don Pancho Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips–I haven’t seen these in Utah, but if you live in California they are great.
This past week we also taste tested BBQ Sauce and found K.C. Masterpiece was our favorite (I really thought it would be Sweet Baby Ray’s..crazy!), and then we taste tested Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream. Tillamook Ice Cream won the prize. A triple taste-off–super fun!! Hope you enjoy these favorites the way we did 🙂