A kind follower of my blog brought it to my attention that I’ve never posted about lasagna. I couldn’t believe that a family favorite like that had been overlooked for so long. For those of you who are searching for your favorite lasagna recipe, search no more….you’ve found it!
- 1 16 oz. lasagna noodles
- 6-7 cups homemade marinara sauce or your favorite store bought sauce
- 5 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 16 oz. cottage cheese, blended until smooth or 1 16 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tbls. parsley
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- Mix the last eight ingredients together to form the cheese mixture. If you are using cottage cheese instead of ricotta make sure to pulse the cottage cheese in a blender until smooth, it makes for a smoother lasagna. Take your noodles and boil them until they are al dente, don't worry they will continue to cook in the oven and be perfect! If you have pulled your homemade marinara sauce out of the freezer like I usually do make sure to heat it up until the sauce is warm. Once you have done all of this you are ready to assemble your lasagna.
- Take three cups of your marinara sauce and put it in the bottom of your 9x13. Take three noodles and lay them side by side on top of the sauce. Spread half of the cheese mixture on top of the noodles and then cover with 2 cups of mozzarella cheese. Take three more noodles and lay them side by side again. Take the rest of the cheese mixture and cover the noodles the best you can. Cover the cheese mixture with 2 more cups of mozzarella cheese. Cover the mozzarella cheese with another layer of noodles. Take the remaining three cups of sauce and pour it over the last layer of noodles. Top this layer of sauce with the rest of the mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle the top of your lasagna with a little parsley just to look pretty! As you might have noticed there isn't any sauce in between the layers except at the top and the bottom. Some might think this is strange but it makes for lots of layers of cheesy goodness, with just enough sauce! Trust me, this is a great trick!
- Tip: If your homemade marinara sauce or store bought sauce DOES NOT have meat feel free to cook up some sausage and add that in between each layer of noodles, right after the cheese.
- Do this if you like a meaty lasagna like me!
Deals to Meals https://www.dealstomealsblog.com/
In the recipe I tell you to blend your cottage cheese until it is smooth. I didn’t do it this time because my blender was broken. However, it is better to have the cheesy texture nice and smooth. It is worth the extra effort!
Repeat the last two steps again and then cover with another layer of noodles and then the sauce on top. I only place the sauce on the bottom and top of my lasagna, and not in between each layer.
Sprinkle this with another layer of mozzarella cheese and a little parsley on top for garnish.