Now that we have had a delicious round of orange recipes this week, I am going to share a few of my favorite citrus recipes with you. I can’t get enough of lemons and limes. I love to use them cooking, as well as decorating. Not only are they delicious, their bright colors just make me happy to have around my kitchen.
Before we talk sweet and sour, we have to talk savory to get us ready for dessert. Our Beach Street Lemon Linguine is hands down an all time favorite recipe that has a citrus punch! The lemon marinade and Cajun seasonings is an amazing combination. If you have not tried this recipe yet, you are missing out on the best one on our blog (now, that’s sayin’ a lot!). A few other lemon favorites are Lemon Pepper Pork Chops, Lemon Costoletta, Lemon Crumb Bars, Lemon Cake & Lemon Ice Cream. Another favorite dish with a splash of citrus that we love is our Thai Steak Tacos with Lime Cilantro Slaw. This dish has a really fresh, Asian flavor. If you are looking for a dessert that will blow you away with pucker power, our Key Lime Cheesecake is the one for you. It’s sweet and sour goodness is not for the weak at heart.
So, here is one more Lemon Lime delight to tempt your pallet. These Lemon Lime Cheesecake Bites are the perfect dessert for a spring gathering, baby shower, or any other time you need a little citrus pick me up! I made these on a Saturday afternoon with for no real reason at all. We enjoyed them all weekend. Just beware, once you eat one, it is hard to stop popping these babies into your mouth 😉 Enjoy! (I thought for a cute St. Patricks Day idea, just add a little green food coloring into the custard or the cheesecake for cute Lime bites).
- Nilla Wafers--1 for each mini tin
- Mini Cupcake Wrappers
- 2 (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- Zest of 1 lime and 1 lemon
- 2 T. lime juice
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 c. white sugar
- 1/4 c. lemon juice
- 2 T. lime juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2/3 c. sour cream
- 2 t. sugar
- Cheesecake Bites: Preheat oven to 350. Place a mini cupcake wrapper in each tin of a mini muffin pan. In the bottom of each wrapper, place one Vanilla Wafer cookie. In a bowl, cream together the cream cheese, sugar, eggs, zest and juice. When smooth set aside. Pour 1 T. of cream cheese batter into each muffin tin (or until the batter is just below the rim of the pan). Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheesecakes are lightly golden brown and firm.
- Custard: Place the custard ingredients into a sauce pan and let cook on a low simmer until the custard begins to thicken. Once the custard is thick, remove from the heat and place in the fridge to cool until the cheesecakes are done cooking.
- Sour Cream Layer: Mix together the sour cream and sugar and keep in the fridge until ready to serve (or whip the whipping cream until firm peaks form).
- When the cheesecakes are finished cooking, remove them from the pan and place on a wire cooling rack. Let them cool to room temperate. With a spoon, spoon 1-1 1/2 t. of the lemon custard on top of each cheesecake. Place another small dallop of the sour cream mixture on top of the custard. Grate a little lemon and lime zest on top of each cheesecake bite. Keep the cheesecakes in the fridge until ready to serve.