Mexican rice at our house has become a touchy subject until…last night. As each good wife does when you first marry you make the standard recipes your mom used to make. Well, years go by and I finally caught on to the fact that I was the ONLY one eating the Mexican rice at dinner. My husband admitted that he only believes in eating rice that actually has flavor. So I went on a hunt and experimenting to find a side dish that pleased me and his taste buds. Let’s just say after some tweaking and adding jalapenos this was delicious.
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 ½ cup water
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 can green chilies
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
Add ingredients to shopping list
If you don’t have Buy Me a Pie! app installed you’ll see the list with ingredients right after downloading it
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the rice, onion, peppers, and garlic. Cook until the rice is browned and
- vegetables are tender. Stir in the water, tomatoes, chili powder, and salt and
- bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender,
- about 17 to 19 minutes. Stir in the cheese and transfer to a serving bowl.
Deals to Meals https://www.dealstomealsblog.com/