The idea of a pumpkin sheet cake is not a novel idea on the internet this time of year, pretty much any blog you visit has something pumpkin and cream cheese-ish now that fall is in full swing. However, I have taken the basic pumpkin sheet cake recipe and tweaked it with a few changes that helped make this recipe just right. One of my issues with pumpkin cake is it always called for too much oil. I can’t stomach putting 1 1/2 c. of oil in a cake. It just grosses me out. However, the oil is essential to keep the cake soft. In this recipe I cut back the oil and used extra pumpkin to keep the cake moist. Not only that, but it gave this cake an even stronger pumpkin flavor which I loved. The second issue, I don’t like sheet cakes that are only one inch thick. I wanted this cake to be more the size and height of a regular cake baked in a 9×13 pan. This recipe makes a beautiful, fluffy and tall sheet cake that will serve 25+ people. It is great for large crowds, or for your family with lots of yummy leftovers 😉 You can always cut the recipe in half and put in a 9×13 pan if you wanted, but for me…more is better 😉
My other issue with regular cream cheese frosting is it is always too runny, not tangy enough or too sweet. I found this cream cheese frosting recipe in a Cook’s Illustrated magazine and the powdered buttermilk is what makes this frosting a perfect 10! It gives this frosting a tang that you can’t find in normal gaggy-sweet cream cheese frosting. Not only that, but it keeps the frosting from being runny and thin. It frosts perfectly and stays slightly stiff so you can cut the cake without it falling apart.
So, with these few changes we have taken a flat, overly fattening and drippy frosting cake to a cake that has the perfect texture and best cream cheese frosting around! Enjoy 😉
- 1 large can pumpkin (28-29 oz.)
- 3/4 cup oil
- 6 eggs
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 3 cup flour
- 8 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 6 oz. cream cheese, chilled and cut into equal pieces
- Cake: In a bowl combine the pumpkin, oil, and eggs and beat until smooth and mixed together. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until smooth. Pour into a greased jelly roll/cookie sheet pan that has been sprayed with non stick cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until the cake comes out testing clean with a toothpick. Remove from the oven and let sit until cooled and then frost with the cream cheese frosting.
- Frosting: Using a hand mixer, beat butter, sugar, buttermilk powder, vanilla and salt on low speed until smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping down bowl as needed. Increase speed to medium low; add cream cheese, 1 piece at a time; and mix until smooth, about 2 minutes. Once the cake is cooled, frost with the cream cheese frosting.