With school starting for half of my children this week I have had to put the fun and laid back days of summer behind me and make sure I am on my A-game with dinner time. Not only has school started but football as well. Which, means a hungry-hippo (a.k.a. my 12 year old son) has one hour in between school getting out and football. I find life goes so much more smoothly if we eat dinner at 5:00 and then get on with our day and spend the other hours of the night at the ball park. Having dinner earlier I have found makes for happier children which makes for a much happier mom 🙂
So, this week I am going to share with you some of my favorite simple and quick meals. Now, I know you have heard me talk about having grilled chicken in your freezer, but I really can’t say how handy this makes for quick dinner prep. Many of my meals require cooked or shredded chicken in my recipes and having it already cooked ready to go in my freezer helps me get dinner on the table in minutes. It is hands down my favorite meal planning trick of all time 🙂 Genius!
The other night I used the grilled chicken and turned it into a super fun and different version of a traditional quesadilla. I love barbeque pizza and didn’t have time to make homemade pizza crust. Using those same flavors that I adore, I put them in between two flour tortillas and lots of cheese and you have the next best thing! This dinner seriously took only 10-15 minutes to prepare and we were sitting at the table before my kids could say they were hungry. I hope this recipe (and the chicken trick) will help you with your busy back-to-school menu plan in the next few weeks 😉
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled, seasoned with salt and pepper and diced
- 1-2 cups barbeque sauce
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1-2 c. fresh pineapple, cut into small pieces
- 2-3 cups colby or mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 package flour tortillas
- Grill and cook the chicken. Cut into bite sized pieces. Prepare the vegetables. Heat a hot griddle and spray with cooking spray or butter. Place one tortilla on the griddle. Drizzle with bbq sauce and then sprinkle the chicken, green onions, cilantro, pineapple and peppers all over the tortilla. Sprinkle with plenty of cheese and place a second tortilla on top. Cook the tortilla for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until lightly golden brown and the cheese is melted. Remove from the griddle and cut into four pieces. Serve with extra bbq sauce.