I am sure most of you have had this salad before, but just in case some of you haven’t, I thought this would be a great time to share it. This recipe is a great way to use up any cabbage you may have growing in your garden. I have tried to grow cabbage in years past and haven’t had much luck. Until this year that is. I am not sure what I did differently with our soil or with how we grew our cabbage but we have six huge heads up in our garden. My son picked one of them the other day and it was nearly twice the size of his head. We have used this one head of cabbage on fish tacos, in coleslaw and in this Chinese Cabbage salad, and still have a fourth of it left. At this rate we will be eating cabbage every day for a month.
If I had to eat this salad everyday I would actually be totally fine with that. I love the dressing on this salad. It is sweet, savory and goes great with the chicken and cabbage. If you haven’t tried this salad yet, give it a try. You will love it 🙂
- 1 head green cabbage, shredded thin
- 2-3 cups cooked, cubed and seasoned chicken
- 3/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/2-3/4 cup cashews or almonds, sliced
- 2 pkgs. Top Ramen noodles
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 pkg. Top Ramen chicken seasoning packets (just the dry seasoning mix)
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. sesame seeds
- 2 Tbls. soy sauce
- Cut the cabbage into thin strips and pieces and place in a large serving bowl. Cook the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Place the diced chicken into the salad bowl. Slice the green onions and place in the bowl as well. Chop the nuts and place on the top of the salad along with the crushed Top Ramen noodles. For the dressing, pour all of the ingredients together in a bowl and whisk until combined. When ready to serve the salad pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Serve immediately.