I just wanted to say happy 61st birthday to my amazing Dad! I love him so much and am so thankful for all that he has taught me. I feel so blessed to be his daughter and am so grateful to have amazing parents who have been such great examples to me. It has been 5 years since my Mom was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and we thought we would lose her. She was given only a couple months to live and thanks to prayers and miracles from God she is still with us today. Being able to go on vacations like we did to Canada with my parents, and seeing them so happy and healthy, makes me sit back and count my blessings for everyday we have together.
Over these many years with my Dad I have quickly learned the way to his heart is through his stomach. He is my number one taste tester and gives me the most honest (yes, critical at times) feedback of anyone I know. If my Dad says something is good, you know it is great! I love to call him and have him come over to try new recipes and see his reactions. For his birthday this year he wanted me to make his favorite cake–Pineapple Cream Cheese Cake. This recipe has been in our family for as long as I can remember and it is definitely one of my favorite cake recipes! The great thing about this cake is there is no oil in the cake batter. Yes, there is plenty of sugar, but it makes me feel a little better that there isn’t any oil. The cake is extremely moist, dense and smothered in this cream cheese frosting you can’t go wrong! It is a simple cake to make and a crowd pleaser for sure. I hope you enjoy this cake as much as we do. Happy Birthday Dad!!
- 3 eggs
- 2 3/4 cups white sugar
- 3 cups crushed pineapple (with juices)
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 stick butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Dash of salt
- 1 lb. powdered sugar
- With a hand blender, in a large bowl, beat together the sugar and pineapple. Add the eggs, soda and vanilla and continue to beat until incorporated. Add the flour and mix until batter comes together. Pour the mixture into a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for 40-48 minutes, or until the center of the cake is set and no longer soft. The top of the cake will get a nice golden brown color and that's okay. When cake is done, remove from the oven and let rest until room temperature while you make the frosting.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the vanilla, salt and powdered sugar and blend until smooth. You may need a teaspoon or so of milk, but wait until the sugar is incorporated before you add that. Continue to whip frosting until peaks form and it is light and fluffy. Frost the cake and serve.