This week I am excited to share with you some of my new favorite recipes that will help you use up those vegetables in your garden. And of course, if you don’t have a garden, you are not out. Just login to our website and find out what produce items are on sale in your area. Many of the vegetables I will be highlighting will be on on sale this week as they are in season.
Let’s start with broccoli today. I went out to my garden a few days ago and I had three broccoli heads that were each the size of basketballs. They were huge! We have been eating broccoli with every dish these past few days and are loving it! Last year my sister brought this Mustard Broccoli Chicken Salad to a family barbeque and I have not been able to get it out of my mind. I made this salad and was thrilled when it was as great as I remembered. It is easy to throw together (especially if you already have grilled chicken in your freezer) and it is light tasting and completely fresh. The only key with this recipe is you need to use ‘good’ mayo–no lowfat or anything. Good old’ fattening Best Foods Mayo will make this salad perfect. This salad is great too because it stays in the fridge for a few days and is great for leftovers 😉
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, grilled and seasoned with salt & pepper
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 cups good mayonnaise (Best Foods)
- 2 Tbls. dry white wine (optional--I have substituted 1 Tbls. rice vinegar and that works great)
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbls. whole grain mustard
- 1 Tbls. dried tarragon (or use fresh)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Clean and rinse the broccoli florets. Cut the broccoli into 1 inch pieces and place into a salad bowl. Add a couple tablespoons of water and place in the microwave for 3 minutes. Broccoli will be barely tender. Remove from the microwave and drain the little bit of water from the bowl. Set aside. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place on a grill and grill until cooked through (or bake in a baking dish until no longer pink). Let the chicken rest for a few minutes and then cut into cubes. Place the chicken in the bowl with the broccoli. Cut the tomatoes in half and place in the bowl and toss with the broccoli and chicken. In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients and then pour over the salad ingredients. Toss to coat and season with extra salt and pepper as needed.