Besides zucchini and broccoli, another vegetable I have a lot of in my garden is spinach. Some of it sadly has gone to seed, but much of it I was able to use in our salads. A friend of mine asked me to recreate a popular salad that is served at a local restaurant called Zupas. It is their Vermont Maple Blueberry Salad. I have had it and it is pretty good. However, I knew we could take this salad to a new level. Let’s just say this salad recipe is Zupa’s salad on steroids. I added more ingredients that I knew I would love and kicked up the dressing ingredients–theirs is a little boring I have to admit. This salad is now perfected in my book and gives Zupa a run for their money 🙂 Not to mention, isn’t this salad beautiful? It is like art in a bowl. The blues, red, green, purple and white cheese. Beautimous! It almost looks patriotic, doesn’t it? So pretty to look at and even better to eat!!
Yesterday I took a huge batch of this salad with some girl friends boating. I was super excited to share this recipe with them and the reviews did not disappoint. I was so glad to hear everyone ooh and ah about how yummy this salad was. Many even threw out that it was the best salad they had ever had. If you want a chick-salad that will please any crowd, this is the one! I hope you love it too!
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled and seasoned with salt & pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup candied pecans, almonds or cashews
- 1-1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 granny smith apples, diced
- 1 bag baby spinach (14-16 oz.)
- 1-2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2/3-3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2-3 Tbls. ground mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- Cayenne pepper or sriracha sauce
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Grill the chicken breast, season and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Cut the bell pepper, red onion, apples and romaine lettuce. Place all of the salad ingredients into a large salad bowl. Make the salad dressing and serve over salad when ready to eat.
- Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together until smooth. Serve over salad when ready to serve.