The rate we go through chicken we should just move to a farm and raise our own. I love chicken. It’s the life saver of most of my dinner dilemmas. There really isn’t a more versatile meat out there. Last night I was looking through my fridge and saw all of these beautiful, plump peppers. Whenever I have lots of peppers and thawed chicken I generally go straight to our Lime Chicken Fajita recipe. However, this week I wanted to do something a little different. I grilled up the chicken, sauted the vegetables and turned this simple poultry item into an outstanding dinner sub. Toast the bun with some mayonnaise for extra flavor and broil some melted cheese on top and you have a dinner that can be done in under 30 minutes. My favorite kind!
Not only was this meal quick but all of the ingredients were bought on sale. Using our website we help you know what meals can go with what sale items. By purchasing all of your menu planner items on sale you can save your family SO much money! Here is the breakdown of these subs to show you how much you can save on EACH meal when you use Deals to Meals and watch the sales.
Tyson Chicken Breasts on sale for $1.99/lb.–regular price $3.49/lb.–needed 2 lbs. for this recipe
1 green bell pepper on sale for .49–regular price .78–needed one for this recipe
1 red bell pepper on sale for .69–regular price $1.49–needed one for this recipe
1 white onion on sale for .33/lb.–regular price .98/lb.
8 oz. white mushrooms on sale for $1.19–regular price $1.98
Hoagie buns found on the day-old clearance shelf for $1.02–regular price $2.98
Sliced cheese on sale for $1.99–regular price $2.98
(Login to our website to see all of the best deals in your area)
Now, what if we had wanted to make this meal when these items were not on sale? It would have been just under $18. That’s about a 50% savings by just knowing what items were on sale, and how to turn those groceries into a meal. Pretty crazy savings, isn’t it? That’s exactly what we do at Deals to Meals. Feel free to login to our website and see just how easy it is to plan your meals and save $100’s each month! If you ever have any questions, please leave a comment or email me 😉
- 4-5 boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled and seasoned with Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 Tbls. olive oil
- 8 slices of Monterey Jack, Provolone or Swiss cheese
- 8 hoagie buns or sub rolls
- Season the chicken with a generous amount of Montreal Seasoning. Grill or saute the chicken until golden brown and cooked through then slice into long strips. While the chicken is grilling you can prepare the vegetables by slicing all of the peppers, mushrooms and onions. Heat a saute pan to medium high heat, add the olive oil and saute the onions until they are tender. Add the peppers and mushrooms and continue to saute them until just tender, but still some what crisp (you don't want mushy). Season the vegetables with a little more Montreal Seasoning (or salt and pepper). Cut the hoagie buns horizontally and cover both sides of the bun with a layer of mayonnaise. On the sandwiches, place a few slices of the chicken and top the chicken with some of the pepper/onion mixture. Top each sandwich with a slice of cheese and broil the sandwiches open face until the cheese melts and the bread is nice and toasted. Serve the sandwiches warm out of the oven.