Hope you had a wonderful weekend. We had a great time spending time with extended family in St. George Utah. It was great to have lots of family time, great food and plenty of sunshine. Now that our vacation is over, it’s time to figure out meal planning for the new week.
On a busy night like tonight, I am all about quick sandwich recipes. I really love sandwiches for dinner. They are usually super simple, full of flavor and easy to throw together on a busy night. I had some leftover peppers, an onion and chicken sausage in my freezer from Costco (LOVE that stuff!). I whipped together these ingredients and came up with a sandwich that was easy to make and our whole family loved them!! The cajun seasoning gave this sandwich such great flavor and made these sandwiches something special. Not to mention, if you are on a low calorie diet, these were awesome without a bun. I just ate the sautéed peppers, sausage, onion with a little pepperjack cheese on top. Delicious and simple! Hope you enjoy 😉
- 4 links chicken sausage (I love the ones from Costco)--you can also use sausage like Hillshire Farms Smoked Polska Sausage or any link sausage you prefer
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 white or red onion, sliced
- 2-3 Tbls. butter
- 2-3 Tbls. Cajun seasoning
- 6-8 slices pepperjack cheese (optional)
- 6-8 hoagie buns
- Slice the bell peppers into thin strips, slice the onion as well as the sausage links. Once all of the ingredients are sliced, set them aside. In a saute pan place the butter into the pan and turn the heat to medium high heat. Let the butter begin to melt and add the sliced onions to the pan. Saute for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly tender. Add the sliced peppers to the pan and saute for 3-5 minutes until the peppers begin to soften, but are still tender. Season the onions and peppers Remove the peppers and onions to a different dish and cover until ready to serve. To the same pan, add the sausage pieces and saute until they are golden brown and warmed through. Add the peppers and onions back to the pan and add more cajun seasoning if you wish. Cut open the hoagie buns. Spread a little bit of mayonnaise onto one side of the bun. Add a generous portion of the sausage and peppers onto the hoagie bun. Add a slice of pepperjack cheese to the top of the meat. Place the top of the hoagie bun back ontop of the sandwich and place on a cookie sheet. Continue to do this with the other sandwiches and then bake them at 350 for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and lightly golden brown. Serve the sandwiches hot.