If you haven’t planted your garden yet, this is the month to do it! It’s not too late to plant a few of your favorite vegetable plants so you can reap the rewards in the next few months. One of my favorite things to plant is fresh herbs. I love planting them in pots right outside my kitchen patio door. It’s so fun to be able to go outside, cut off portions of my fresh cilantro, parsley, basil and rosemary. Fresh herbs make for easy marinades for meat, are great in salad dressings or dress up any salad or main dish. The best part about it, is planting your own fresh herbs are MUCH less expensive than buying them from the grocery store. One plant here at our local Home Depot sold herb plants for only $2.50. A package of fresh basil at the store is over $4. Not to mention your plant will continue to produce all summer. That’s a win-win, isn’t it? 🙂
Okay, now onto this extremely fresh, healthy and delicious salad. The other day I made this for a side dish for some grilled chicken we had for dinner and it was amazing. And then, the leftovers I had for lunch the next day and it was even better. The dressing is a simple vinaigrette that makes all of the fresh ingredients come together with lots of fresh, healthy flavors. I loved this simple salad and it’s a great way to use the vegetables in your garden this summer. Bookmark this recipe for sure! Hope you love it.
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 large hot house cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1-2 avocados, peeled and diced
- 1/2-1 cup feta cheese
- 2-3 Tbs. fresh basil, chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- Dash of sugar (about 1/4 tsp.)
- For the dressing, whisk together all of the ingredients and set aside. Prepare the salad ingredients by chopping the cucumber and avocados, cutting the tomatoes and placing it all into a serving bowl. Whisk the dressing one more time and pour over the salad. Garnish with the feta cheese and serve.