The first holiday tradition of the season for our family is the second Sunday of November we always put up our Christmas tree (okay, trees–yes, my husband puts up 10–yikes!). When we put up our big tree in the family room we always watch Polar Express and have hot chocolate. It’s the perfect show to watch while putting up the tree because there isn’t much of a story line, so if you get side tracked, that’s okay. Ha! Nothing fancy right, but you can’t believe how excited the kids get to do this every year. Simple, yet fun. Let the holidays begin!
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup dry powdered milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. vanilla (if making right away)
- 6 cup hot water (or milk)
- 1/2-1 cup milk chocolate or semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a large pan whisk together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, dry powdered milk, salt and cornstarch. Keep cocoa mix in an airtight container if you're not using the whole thing at one time. When making cocoa, add 3 T. cocoa mix to 1 cup of hot water. If you like your cocoa more chocolatey, add more cocoa mix or the chocolate chips (optional). For a really creamy hot chocolate, add warmed milk instead of water. Serve with marshmallows or whipping cream. For a fun holiday twist, add crushed peppermints on top of hot chocolate and a drop of peppermint extract to the cocoa.