Okay, bear with me. I have one more Valentines recipe for you (yeah, I’m a little crazy!). Last night I was thinking about Valentines Day and I wanted to do something special for my kiddos. I have come to grips with the fact my kids eat cardboard, sugar cereal for breakfast on a regular basis. I used to be a better mom and make warm, homemade breakfasts for my kids (yes, every day). Who has time for that?! Now that my kids leave super early for high school, there isn’t much time for that anymore. So, I set my alarm today and surprised them with these chocolate crepes. It was a simple gesture but I hope they felt of my love. With teenagers you never really know, right? But I’m sure my hungry-hippo teenage boy had to feel a little twinge of love before he headed off to school 😉 One can hope, right!
Best thing again about this recipe is the crepes are made from ingredients you have in your pantry. You could even use powdered milk and powdered eggs for a real ‘food storage friendly’ recipe if you’d like. Fill these delicious chocolate crepes with any filling of your choice. The sky’s the limit!
Making a good crepe can sometimes be tricky. The secret is you need the right pan. For Christmas I got a box of two Green Pans from my Mom and they are my new, absolute favorite pans. They are nonstick and cook evenly and wipe out clean in seconds. They are seriously amazing! Very few days go by that I don’t use these pans–they’re the best! Not to mention they are only $34 for TWO 10 and 12 inch pans. You’re going to love them. Check them out here.
Happy Valentines Day to my best friend! Todd, I couldn’t imagine life with out you. You make every day a new adventure and with you I know I can do anything. Can’t wait to spend the day with you! Love you so much.
(Todd’s face is hilarious. Poor guy enjoys a painful diet of only eating one meal a day. Who could be presented with these crepes and not eat them?!? His self control is amazing!!)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3 Tbs. butter or canola oil
- 2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 (5.3 oz.) berry greek yogurt
- 1 (8 oz.) whipped topping (I used fat free)
- Spray whipped cream
- 1-2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 lb. strawberries, sliced
- Chocolate, shaved
- Berry compote (optional)
- Put all of the crepe ingredients into a large blender (a Blendtec works great if you have one of those). Blend until smooth. Heat a nonstick pan (these Green Pans are my FAVORITE pan!!) to medium heat. Place a small pat of butter in the bottom of the pan. Once it is melted, pour a portion of the batter into the pan. Twirl the pan around so that the crepe batter goes evenly around the pan into a circle shape. Cook on one side for 2-3 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Flip the the crepe to the other side and cook just for 30 seconds or so. Remove from the pan.
- Continue doing this with all of the crepes. While the crepes are cooking, make the filling by whisking the two items together until smooth.
- Prepare the fruit by slicing the strawberries and making the berry compote (if desired). When ready to serve, fill the crepes with some of the filling, the fresh fruit and then wrap together. Garnish the top with the whipped topping and chocolate shavings.