Need a gluten free, healthy, simple recipe for dinner? This meal was on our table in less than 30 minutes and was SUPER easy to throw together. I used my cooked chicken from my freezer which allowed me to get dinner on the table in no time at all. This chicken mixture is great on corn tortillas, wrapped in a burrito, in a hard shell taco, on a salad or piled into an avocado. I am trying to cut back on carbs, so I went the avocado route while my kids enjoyed theirs taco style. No matter how you serve this chicken, it’s going to be a hit for everyone!
Not to mention, everything you need for this recipe is on sale this week: chicken, cheese, tortillas, avocados, canned tomatoes, etc. This meal could easily be made for less than $10 for a family of 6-7. Login to Deals to Meals to see all of the best deals in your area!
*Remember to enter to win our DTM package valued at $300–only a few more days to enter to win 🙂
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 chipotle peppers
- 1 Tbs. chipotle adobo sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 tsp. Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1/4 cup water, if needed
- 6-8 large avocados
- 1 cup shredded colby jack or cheddar cheese
- Cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Sour cream or avocado ranch dressing
- If your chicken is not cooked before hand, place the chicken in a saute pan with a little water. Turn the stove to medium heat and let the chicken steam until cooked through and able to shred. Or, you can put the chicken into a slow cooker and cook until the chicken can easily shred. Set aside the chicken while you prepare the meal.
- Dice the red onion into small pieces. Heat a large saute pan to medium-high heat. Add the drizzle of olive oil. Put the onion in the pan and saute until the onions are tender. Add the seasoning and mashed chipotle peppers and bring to a simmer until the seasonings meld together.
- Once this mixture is combined, add the chicken and shred into the sauce. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed and if the mixture is too dry, add some chicken broth or water to loosen it up.
- Serve this chicken mixture on a tortilla, in a hard shell taco or stuffed in avocados. For the avocados, cut them in half horizontally. Remove the seed and scoop the avocado meat out in one large piece. Place the avocado on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Into the hole, place a good sized portion of the chicken mixture. Top with the shredded cheese. Broil for 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream or a ranch dressing mixed with avocado and some lime juice. Garnish with cilantro and fresh limes.