Looking for a meal that seriously couldn’t be any easier? We had leftover mashed potatoes from our meal the other night and I wanted a simple chicken dish to serve with them. I only have about 20 minutes to get dinner on the table and I wasn’t in the mood to slave away in our hot kitchen (yep, no a/c at our rental abode–good thing summer is almost over ;). To make things really easy, I decided to pull out some frozen and grilled chicken breasts from our freezer and I turned them into this simple, Easy Cheesy BBQ Chicken. With the mashed potatoes and a spinach salad it was the perfect meal that took less than 10 minutes to throw together. Can’t beat that!
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1-1 1/2 cup shredded colby cheese
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/4-1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved (optional garnish)
- Mashed potatoes (optional side)
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Turn the oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken breasts into the 9x13 pan and lay flat. If you want your chicken to cook more quickly, cut them in half horizontally. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cover with tinfoil and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the center. When the chicken is nearly cooked through, remove from the oven, remove tinfoil and drain any extra chicken broth from the pan. If there are fatty parts to the chicken, cut those off as well. Cover the chicken breasts with plenty of bbq sauce on both sides. Add a generous portion of shredded cheese on top of each chicken piece. Turn the oven to broil and broil chicken for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and brown. Garnish chicken with sliced green onions and diced tomatoes. Serve warm. Serves 6.