Okay friends, with summer being busy, hot and crazy, my desire to invent new recipes has been less than typical. When I don’t create new recipes I get kind of bored in the kitchen. Are you guys the same way? It had been awhile since I had made a copy cat recipe, so I got some delicious inspiration at Cheesecake Factory last week. This was just what I needed to make dinner fun again!!
This recipe I am so totally excited to share with you. We ate this meal three days in a row (yep, I made three separate batches of corn cakes) and they were amazing every time! I even fed my sisters and friends and we all were in love with this recipe. You’re going to LOVE it! Especially you vegetarian’s out there. If I didn’t eat meat, I would eat this meal a couple times a week 😉 A couple things about this recipe. I found a copycat version online that I tried and liked okay. However, the 2 sticks of butter I couldn’t stomach on my healthy eating plan. So, I decided to change out a stick of butter with pureed white beans and it was awesome! You didn’t miss the extra butter at all and it actually cooked easier and better. Also, I cut the sugar in half since I didn’t want my corn cakes as sweet as they are at Cheesecake Factory. Less sugar isn’t half bad either when trying to be healthy, right? So..all in all, not only is this recipe incredibly delicious, it’s pretty healthy too 😉 Enjoy and let me know what you think!
*One tip to make these cakes cook easily is to refrigerate the cake mixture for an hour or more before forming into patties. You can roll them out like a biscuit or just form with your hand. Either way works great when the dough is cold!
- 1 stick butter, room temperature (not cold!)
- 15 oz. can white beans, drained
- 3 Tbs. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cup sweet frozen corn
- 1 cup corn harina flour
- 4 Tbs. all purpose flour (or use more harina flour)
- 1 cup sweet frozen corn (to be added at the end)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tps. paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp. lime juice
- Tomatillo salsa
- Pico de Gallo
- Cilantro, chopped
- Fresh lime wedges
- In a food processor, combine together the two cups of corn, butter, sugar, salt, drained white beans and blend until smooth. Add the harina flour and mix until combined. Add the last cup of frozen corn and pulse just for a couple seconds, keeping these kernels mostly in tact. Place this mixture into a bowl and cover with saran wrap. Place in the fridge for 1-12 hours. Take this mixture out of the fridge and shape into 12-15 round patties about 1 to 1 1/2 inch thick. When ready to cook, heat a saute pan to medium heat. Drizzle the pan with a little olive oil. Place four of the patties into the pan once it is hot. Let the cake cook on one side for 4-6 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip the corn cake and cook on the other side. While they are cooking, make the cream sauce.
- Place all of the ingredients into a bowl and whisk together until smooth. Serve the hot cakes with the tomatillo salsa, pico, cream sauce, chopped cilantro and a wedge of lime.