Welcome to Fiji everyone. Well okay, it seemed more like Hawaii, but either way we had a great day! It was so fun to go to bed in Mexico and wake up in Fiji. The kids were so excited and it was nice to pretend we were whisked away to a warm and tropical place for a minute. We played island music all day, cooked lots of yummy food and enjoyed being together. That really is the best part about this quarantine is being able to spend quality time with loved ones. Are you loving that too? Don’t get me wrong. Some moments I want to pull my hair out but others I wouldn’t want to trade for anything.
Tonight was one of those moments. We decorated our table with homemade leis made out of tissue paper, played traditional Fijian food and ate the most amazing meal of Hawaiian (‘Fiji’) Chicken with Pineapple BBQ Sauce, Rice, Mac Salad and Rice.
We ended the evening watching Lilo & Stitch eating Pineapple Cake with Cream Cheese Cake.
This was a cake my Dad would always request for his birthday and it is so nostalgic to me. I even halved the amount of sugar and it was so perfect! Just the ‘tropical’ dessert we needed to end our day in Fiji 😉
Check out ALL of our Around the World Adventures in this FREE DOWNLOAD. Share with us your adventures to give us some more ideas. Hashtag #DTMFAMILYFUN. Bon Voyage!
Here are some of our delicious recipes we made today. Enjoy!
Hawaiian Pineapple BBQ Chicken
BBQ SAUCE & MARINADE:
- 20 oz. can crushed pineapple, do not drain
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (can use 2 tsp. garlic powder)
- 2 tsp. ginger powder (or can use fresh)
- 1-1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1-2 Tbs. Sriracha sauce
- 2 Tbs. hoisin sauce
- 2/3-1 cup ketchup
- 2 lbs. boneless chicken things or breasts
- In a blender, add all of the BBQ sauce ingredients together and blend until smooth. Add the sauce into a medium sized sauce pan. Bring the sauce to a boil and let the sauce simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until it begins to thicken. Once it is thickened, place about a cup in a gallon ziploc bag (or in a large bowl). Add the chicken to the sauce in the bag and let it marinade overnight or for 2+ hours. Keep the remaining sauce in the fridge until ready to serve. When ready to cook the chicken, grill it on medium-high heat and cook until chicken is cooked through. You can based the chicken half way through with extra sauce if you’d like. As the chicken is cooking, warm up extra sauce to serve over the rice. Cook the rice while the chicken is cooking. Serve the grilled chicken with extra sauce as desired. Garnish with fresh green onions for color if you wish.
Hawaiian ‘Mac’ Salad
- 16 oz. macaroni pasta
- 1-1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, minced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1-1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Cook the macaroni pasta in a large pot with water. Boil the water, add the noodles and cook until they are tender. Drain the noodles and put them into a large bowl. Dice very fine the onion, celery and carrots. You can put them in a food processor to make them all the same, small size if you wish. Add the vegetables to the bowl.Add the mayonnaise and seasonings to the pasta and stir. Add additional mayo if necessary. Traditional Hawaiian Mac Salad is VERY mayo covered. Just add enough to your families liking. Serve the pasta cold when ready to eat.
Pineapple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 20 oz. can crushed pineapple, don’t drain
- 1 cup sugar (can use up to 1 1/2 cups if you like it more sweet)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups flour
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2-2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. For the cake, add all of the ingredients into a bowl and mix until combined. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Pour the cake batter into the pan. Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes, or until the center of the cake is cooked through. When the cake is finished, remove from the oven and let rest while you make the frosting.For the frosting, place the butter and cream cheese in a bowl. Whisk with a hand mixer until smooth and incorporated. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar to the butter and cream cheese and continue to whisk until fluffy and soft. When the cake is cooled, frost with the frosting and then serve.